Roshni Nilaya Institution celebrated their golden jubilee anniversary on May 31 2009. It was first launched as Roshni Nilaya Institute of Social Service during 1060 by Sisters of Sacred Heart of Mother Mary religious congregation. Sr Marie Adelaide is the founder of religious congregation. The nuns take vows of celibacy, poverty and obedience. The congregation has no distinct attire or any symbol. After their missionary work, they can be engaged in family ministry. It’s recognized by pontifical authorities.
The congregation in India was established in Goa during 1951. Roshni Nilaya Convent was established in Valencia during 1960. It serves as the office of South India Regional Superior General.
In the entire Karnataka, there was no institute of social work about 50 years ago. It was first introduced at St Agnes College at the leadership of renowned social activist and expert in social work Dr Francis Maria Yasis by the end of 1950. The then regional Superior General Sr Paiva Kusairo when she arrived in Mangaluru, to set up a convent; the then bishop Dr Raymond D’Mello invited the Congregation to establish an institute of social work, Sr Paiva took keen interest in this regard as a missionary work.
The Congregation bought the bungalow and 6 acre plot owned by the late M S Shresta in Valencia to set up the institute.
Sr Mertal Glison, Sr Arleen Hern and Sr Mercy Mascarenhas began their missionary work on May 31 1960. Sr Olinda Pereira took the leadership of mission.
The congregation opened Janata Kendra, community welfare center at nearby Bolar, here during 1960, a blind school in 1961, home sciences course was introduced in 1965. However, due to various reasons it was discontinued after 10 years. Family service center was established in Roshni Nilaya complex during 1966.
B A in social work was introduced at Roshni Nilaya to get UGC funds during 1970 – 71.
Navajeevana Marga, community welfare center was established in 1975 on a plot sanctioned the government at Mastikatte, Ullal, near here. It has organized several social welfare programmes in Permannur, Someshwar and Talapady. The Anganawady teachers training programme was outsourced from the government during 1975.
It has begun doctorate studies in social service during 1983, a major event in the history of Roshni Nilaya and begun BSW during 1984 and Family Counseling Center in 1987.
Roshni Nilaya that started with the motto of ‘Small is Beautiful’ has professional courses – MSW, MSC counseling, BSW, BA, Ph D, Diploma in Social Work.